Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Cancun


We had a happy surprise upon our arrival here in Detroit that Jose would have a week off from his internship while the Factories close for summer shutdown. So we decided we wanted to get out of town and away from our tiny apartment (ugh!). So we decided Cancun was just the ticket! We were there for 5 days and had a GREAT time. We were a little worried when we arrived and it was pouring rain, but the weather quickly improved and we had a fabulous time! There was sightseeing and sunning (or shading in my case!) and lots of wonderful Mexican food. We certainly miss that in MI!


This was the view out of our hotel room. Isn't the water just amazingly blue? And it was so warm!





Here were are at the main temple at Chichen Itza, the temple of Kulkulkan. What an amazing place! All of the ruins were so neat and it really gave you an idea of what things were like thousands of years ago. We decided to go ourselves (instead of on one of the many tour groups offered by the hotels) and it was such a fun adventure and we really got the more Mexican experience. I love traveling in Mexico with a Mexican! Jose always finds us the really good food from the locals and of course the "mexican discount".
.


This was one of the more intricately carved buildings at Chichen. The motifs were beautiful. It's really interesting how many structures there are, and how many are still uncovered. There were archaeologists digging all over the miles of the property uncovering new things everyday. Most of Mexico is said to be that way. It is just so expensive and there are so many they can't afford to uncover all of them. Wouldn't you just love to go on a dig? I would!

A view of the main temple with a smaller one in the foreground. The main one is just massive (it's hard to get the scale). I was really bummed that they stop let the general public climb it and go inside about 3-4 years ago when it became one of the 7 modern wonders. The stairs are pretty steep and with how hot it is there, I'm sure it was a bit dangerous. I told Jose that he needs to make a friend there with an archaeologist or someone important so that I can get the real tour before I die. I'm absolutely fascinated by the whole thing. We'll see if Jose can make that happen for me in the next 50+ years!

Jose of course had to hit up the golf course! Good shot, huh! Luckily he didn't run into any crocodiles or critters bigger than an iguana. Apparently they have quite the wildlife on this course (as my brother Brandon learned) and the club staff warned.

And I had to include this because it is SO Mexico. I took this picture in downtown Cancun one afternoon. What is it you ask? It is a person dressed in a bobble-headed Doctor costume dancing around to music in front of a Dr.'s office as an advertisement. You can see the pink banner to the right. Because that's the Dr. I want to visit when I'm sick, how about you? Seriously, do they think that works? I prefer taking my doctor incredibly seriously, not as a cartoon character.

And for those of you who were worried, we have no swine flu. The locals said they haven't ever had a problem down in that part of Mexico but it has nearly killed the local economy (tourism). We were happy to do our part. : )

5 comments:

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

I still haven't been to Cancun... maybe one day I'll go. Looks like you had fun.

teamZ said...

Isn't it beautiful down there. I am amazed by what the Mayan people knew and accomplished,and they didn't have computers or power tools!

Cancun Mexico said...

There are many ways to enjoy Cancun. You did the best. Enjoy the beaches and monuments. Good photographs. Congratulations.

Abuelita Castaneda said...

that looks like a lot of history!! (by mika)

Abuelita Castaneda said...

Someday I'ld love to go to Chichen Itza. The pyramids in Mexico City are really neat, too.