Thursday, May 14, 2009

On European Travel...



Everyone in Europe just LOVES their travel systems (metro, trains, etc.) and after another day on the train today (back to Torino from Florence) I got to thinking about it....Is it really more convenient? Let me tell you about one day I had here and you decide. [Modes of transport will be in Red]

Our first weekend we spent in Yvoire, France on Lake Geneva. Jose's program began Sunday evening in downtown Geneva and I was leaving the same day to London. So to get to Geneva from Yvoire we had to take a BOAT to the other side of the lake, walk about 15 minutes to take a TRAIN to Geneva. Then later that same day I took a TAXI to the airport, where I boarded an AIRPLANE to London. When I arrived I took the TUBE/SUBWAY to Amber's stop where subsequently a BUS was waiting to take us to her house. That is 6 different modes of transportation in less than 12 hours. And Europeans think this is convenient??? I think all that 2nd hand smoke is affecting their brains.

Now if only I had been able to hop a hot air balloon, or borrow someone's motorcycle....

4 comments:

Abuelita Castaneda said...

I'm glad you made it back to Torino, now let me see some pictures! That sure was a lot of getting on and off in 1 day! What kind of transportation did you like the best? I loved the Subway and the train. Have fun and enjoy the rest of the trip. Love you!

Melinda said...

Ha ha! That sounds like a lot of transportation systems to have to figure out--not my forte.

Anonymous said...

As a former Frenchie, I must stand and defend my freres. There mode of transportation (or anything else for that matter) is not made for the benefit of the American tourist.

The best part about the train, is that you can just hop on it and get to another city very quickly. You bypass a lot of the security and other delays by taking the train. Now, just like anything else...once you get there you've got to rent a car or take a taxi. But for the most part, it does happen to be a more efficient system in getting people from point A to B.

I must side with my "really thin pancake" eaters.

Tim

Castaneda 5 said...

Oh my! not for me either! I'll take my gas guzzling SUV over that...hahaha...